Wednesday, December 4, 2013

LISSA Student Spotlight: Wenlan and Wenzhi Cai


Wenlan and Wenzhi

Wenlan:
Can you tell me a little bit about yourself?
Hi there! My name is Wenlan Cai (pronounced like “Tsai”). I am originally from Shenzhen, a big city in southern China that is very close to Hong Kong. I finished my undergraduate degree in China. But my major was not LIS or any other information science, it was finance!
I grew up in a very happy and sweet family. I have a twin sister who looks very similar to me. But we have different styles. My sister is more girly and I am more sporty. So it is not hard to distinguish us. Oh! By the way, my sister is also in SLIS!

What made you become interested in library science?
To be honest, I got into this field accidentally. The University of South Carolina was not the first university I studied at in America. I studied Information Technology Management at the University of Texas at Dallas last year. That was my first time getting to know information science and I found it really interesting! So, you guys may ask why I wanted to come to this country. My purpose for studying here is to experience real American culture and education which could not be satisfied in Dallas since there were many Asian students. After talking to a friend at USC, I knew this was a very good university with excellent teaching levels. At the same time, I didn’t want to give up the knowledge in information science. So finally I decided to learn library information science which I think can be a part of information science. Now I am here and I am truly glad I made a very good decision. I love this school! I love the professors! I love my classmates!

Do you have a specialization in library science?
My interest is information technology.

What made you decide to join LISSA?
As a graduate student, it is necessary to join an academic association related to my major. LISSA, as the only academic association in our school, organizes a lot of activities and provides a lot of useful information. So I can get some information about library information science and meet people whose careers are in LIS.

Is there anyone you look up to as an inspiration? (Does not have to be a library person, just someone you admire!)
Roger Federer! I think he is a perfect man with a great personality and awesome tennis skills.

Can you tell me some interesting facts about yourself?
I am a traveler and adventurer! I love exploring new places. I am also good at cooking Asian stuff. Just let me know what kind of Asian food you like, and I can try to cook for you!

Wenzhi:
Can you tell me a little bit about yourself?
Hello. My name is Wenzhi Cai. You can call me Gigi. It’s my English name and it’s easier to pronounce. I’m now 23 years old. I finished my undergraduate degree in China, majoring in international business. I have been in United States for a year and a half. Before I came to Columbia, I was in Dallas, Texas. I have a sweet and warm family. I thank my parents very much. Because of their support and understanding, my twin sister Wenlan and I have had the chance to study in the United States.

What made you become interested in library science?
One year ago, I knew nothing about library science, because in China, this field is not very popular. I knew this major from my family friend. She’s a Ph.D. student in SLIS. She strongly recommended this major to us. So, I started to learn about library science. I was surprised to find out that library science is such a multi-disciplinary subject. During my first semester study of library science, I am glad that I didn’t make a wrong choice. Library science has many professionals. I’ve found that I am interested in it very much.

Do you have a specialization in library science?
So far, my interests are information technology and digital libraries.

Is there anyone you look up to as an inspiration? My father. He teaches me a lot and always guides me to a right direction.

Can you tell me some interesting facts about yourself?
I like cooking, baking, traveling, and watching Korean dramas. I also like photography. I can make Japanese food, Korean food and Chinese food. I’m also interested in fitness and health, and in my spare time, I like reading articles about those topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment