The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking a
Librarian for Chabot College in Hayward, CA. The position reports to
the Division Dean.
The initial salary placement range is $56,202 - $80,348/yr, depending
on education and experience.
The position is full-time, sabbatical leave replacement, Fall 2009
Semester. Employment will begin on August 13, 2009. Work schedule will
include one night per week.
Education and Experience: *Master's Degree in Library Science, Library
and Information Science, OR **the equivalent.
*Degrees in Progress: To be conferred on or before July 1, 2009 will be
considered, provided that the applicant also submits (1) an up-to-date
transcript, (2) a photocopy of the degree requirement from the school
catalog, and (3) proof of current course(s) and enrollment.
Demonstrate sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse
academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community
college students, including those with physical and/or learning
● Experience providing instruction in an academic library;
● Familiarity with information competency/literacy concepts and
● Awareness of various learning styles and teaching strategies;
● Enthusiastic approach to working collaboratively with students,
faculty and staff including those who have not had an opportunity to use
● Willingness to facilitate student’s learning by working to
develop varied and innovative learning environments;
● Experience with HTML, multimedia and presentation software;
● Experience teaching classes utilizing effective search
strategies to access resource;
● Excellent interpersonal and team collaboration skills;
● Interest in promoting library services to a multicultural
● Experience with Blackboard or other web course management
Particular Job Characteristics
● Teach effective research strategies in print and online
● Provide reference services in a multimedia environment to
students, staff and faculty;
● Act as a library liaison to at least one instructional division
and to help develop the library’s collection to support that academic
● Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
● Participate in campus and district professional activities;
which may include, but are not limited to, committee membership, and
● Be responsible for the development and maintenance of the
library’s instructional web pages.
The following essay is intended to seek information regarding your
ability to teach Library skills. Please write an essay of up to 250
words that discusses how to implement the concepts of information
competency for traditional and non traditional students, both in an
online as well as in a campus environment. Do not write your essay on
the application form.
Candidates invited to interview may be asked for additional information
and will be required to present a brief teaching demonstration on an
Address Inquiries and Applications To
ATTN: Human Resource Services
Chabot-Las Positas Community College District
5020 Franklin Drive, Pleasanton, CA 94588
Job Hotline (925) 485-5200
Web Site: www.clpccd.org/hr
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS:
April 21, 2009, 5:00 p.m.
POSTMARKS NOT ACCEPTABLE
The Application Process
The following must be submitted as a complete packet. One application
packet must be submitted per job opening.
1. Official District Faculty application form for:
Librarian use position code (#2FLR03). Available at:
2. Cover letter addressing qualifications for the position.
3. Resume of all professional preparation and experience.
4. College transcripts (unofficial copies may be submitted for
application purposes; however, official copies must be submitted before
hiring). Any degrees earned outside the United States must have a U.S.
evaluation (course by course) of the transcripts and must be submitted
with the application.
5. Supplemental Questionnaire essay response.
6. Equal Opportunity Employment Questionnaire. (optional).
Other extraneous material will not be considered.
**Applicants applying under the "Equivalent” provision must provide
details that explain at time of application how their academic
preparation is the equivalent of the degree listed above.
Applicants are evaluated by the appropriate manager and a review
committee. Applicants determined to be the most qualified for the
position will be invited for an interview at their own expense.