LISSA is looking for SLIS students to run for office in the Spring 2008 LISSA election that will be held next month.
Not only is being an officer in LISSA a great way to get more involved in leadership roles at SLIS, but it looks great on a resume.
Please consider running for one of the following open positions: President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer (see attachment for the roles and responsibilities of each position).
If you are interested in running for any of the positions, please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief bio (including your name, a little bit about yourself, your area of interest at SLIS, and why you want to be President, Vice President, Secretary, or Treasurer). We will accept names until March 6th. Online voting will be held from March 7th to March 14th.
LISSA Officer Duties
(Quotations are from the Constitution)
“The President shall preside at all LISSA functions, head the Executive Committee, and have the authority to appoint all committee chairpersons and to create new committees. The President shall also provide leadership and act as chief spokesperson for the organization.”
- Communicate with SLIS faculty, faculty advisor, and student body on behalf of LISSA
- Act as point person for ALA Student Chapter communications and correspondence
- Arrange for LISSA volunteers as needed for functions
- Represent LISSA at request of faculty when possible
- Announce meetings and agendas
- Manage official Student Organization mailbox (2nd floor, Russell House)
- Manage official Student Organization email, email@example.com
- Manage unofficial LISSA email, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Forward/distribute all LISSA correspondence to appropriate Executive committee members
- Attend mandatory workshops required for Student Government compliance (e.g. alcohol workshop)
“The Vice President of LISSA shall serve in place of the President when he or she is absent, and shall assume the Presidency, until the elections are held, should the office become vacant during a semester. The Vice President shall assist and advise the President on all executive decisions.”
- Solicit member applications for Professional Development financial assistance to attend state and national conferences, and
- Work with Treasurer to manage Professional Development paperwork and budget
- Assist President with mandatory workshops (e.g. alcohol policy compliance)
- Act as liaison between LISSA and USC community
“The Secretary shall handle and keep a record of all LISSA business and correspondence, including, but not restricted to: recording minutes at all LISSA meetings; keeping an up-to-date file on all members; informing members of all LISSA meetings and activities.”
- Mail new membership welcome letters – include LISSA sticker and membership card
- Maintain database of locker owners
- Update membership database with graduates
- Forward list of graduates each term for LISSA appreciation certificates (to Liz Qunell)
- Manage invitations for graduation receptions and other events as needed
- Maintain LISSA Secretary’s Locker at
Note – LISSA may use SLIS letterhead, envelopes, and postage for official business. Contact Carolyn Delton. LISSA may also use the Student Services copy machine. Contact Student Services for the key.
“The Treasurer shall handle all financial transactions of LISSA, including, but not restricted to: the collection of dues; managing all bank accounts; and recording all transactions in the appropriate books.”
- Attend mandatory Treasurer’s workshop
- Work with President to draft Budget for next fiscal year
- Submit Budget (February)
- Submit Student Organization Renewal form (September)
- Oversee USC accounts and NBSC account
- Supervise contracts for goods and services
- Reimburse members for authorized expenses