YALSA (Young Adult Library Services Association) will be funding one ALA Spectrum Scholar for the 2008 year who is interested in pursuing a career in young adult librarianship or secondary school librarianship. Spectrum Scholars receive a $5,000 scholarship towards the completion of a masters in library science. The deadline to apply is March 1, 2008.
Spectrum's major drive is to recruit applicants and award scholarships to American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino or Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander students. YALSA will provide a one-year $5,000 scholarship and over $1,500 in professional development opportunities to one eligible student planning to attend an ALA-accredited graduate program in library and information studies or an ALA-recognized NCATE School Library Media program for the purpose of securing a job in a public or school library that serves teens.
To be eligible for a Spectrum Scholarship:
- Applicant must be a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S. or Canada.
- Applicant must be American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino or Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander.
- Applicant must attend an ALA-accredited graduate program in library and information studies or an ALA-recognized NCATE School Library Media program.
- Applicant shall have completed no more than a third of the credit requirements toward her/his MLIS or school library media degree at the time of award, June 1st.
- Applicant must be enrolled in an accredited program and begin school no later than September 1st or the Fall Semester immediately following the award.
- Applicants may have full or part time status.
Apply today via the online form at http://tinyurl.com/ywfula
Please direct questions to Gwendolyn Prellwitz, Program Officer, ALA Office for Diversity & Spectrum, by emailing email@example.com or calling 1-800-545-2433 ext. 5048
Beth Yoke, Executive Director
Young Adult Library Services Association
fastest growing division of ALA
50 E. Huron St. Chicago, IL 60611
Register for Teen Tech Week!
March 2-8, 2008